Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Saigon, (aka Ho Chi Minh City) Gastronomy Tour Part I

Unfortunately there is nothing really sexy about this city once named Saigon. If you were hoping for a French colonial feeling Hanoi is your best bet. Saigon, or what it is presently known as today -- Ho Chi Minh City, is still very much an underdeveloped, dare I say industrialized city. There aren't too many sights to see, but the Gastronomy Tour: Saigon Edition I took was one of the greatest.

First stop Pho Hoa, considered the best Pho in all of HCM. The sayers were right. This place was delicious. The sliced raw beef - tender and taseful. Not at all the chewiness I sometimes find. I got the Pho Tai for 35,000 VND (2.10 USD) which I found to be almost a crime. I think the look I gave them was appalled. Preying on the innocent tourists. Usually a bowl is 27,000 VND (1.60 USD). But it's almost pointless to argue over a few cents (though on more than one occasion I have). Especially, when you fly all the way to their country and walk half way across the city for a bowl of noodles. Indeed, Pho Hoa is not the easiest to find. But it was all worth it to taste the clear broth and fresh ingredients.


A close up. With the necessary condiments of hot and plum sauce.

A delicious last bite!

Pho Hoa
260 Pasteur Street
Ho Chi Minh City, (Saigon)
Vietnam