Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It Tastes like Sh*t!


Chicken Katsu in a toilet bowl. They had curry, but I couldn't do it. 

On a night out in Taipei, my then boyfriend told me he was going to take me somewhere really special that evening. Of course being the girl that I am, I got tremendously excited and contemplated the different outfits I could wear later that evening. I asked myself, would this restaurant be on top of a hill with lights strewn all over? or would it be in a little romantic garden with fountains? The romantic possibilities seemed almost endless.

My boyfriend even told me to conserve the batteries on my camera, because this place he was taking me was so special that I would definitely want to take pictures. Of course, I love to look at pictures after I take them so when dinner time arrived my batteries had drained. But he reminded me again that this place was so special I should go to a random camera shop and ask for my battery to be re-charged. Obligingly I went in and asked a stranger to 'charge me up.' Luckily the people of Taipei are very kind.

As we got on the road to where the restaurant was, I pointed out to him 'Look over there at that restaurant with all the toilets and kids coming out. God that looks like a nightmare!' And strangely we went closer to the said restaurant. Boyfriend said, 'we're here.' And there you have it folks, the romantic restaurant that I had envisioned for the night was in fact Modern Toilet. 

A chained themed restaurant, Modern Toilet's primarily clientele consists of teenagers eating fried foods, curries and the like out of....you guessed it toilet bowls. The food here is your typical snacking food and most of the people that visit come for the ambience. Eating curry out of a black toilet bowl just gives the dining experience that extra dimension.  But the ultimate dish was the chocolate ice cream in the toilet bowl. I had one bite and that was all I could do. Just a little too much dimension for me.


Counter seating. Need some tissue?



Chocolate ice cream. Chicken McNuggets.


Modern Toilet 
Shilin District 
Taipei, Taiwan (ROC) 

No comments: