Thursday, September 25, 2008

House of Singapore

I am strangely drawn to places that have been 'converted.' 'Oh this use to be a convent where nuns used to pray. Now they serve Spanish tapas.' or 'This used to be my mom's house, but I kicked her out and turned it into my dream restaurant.' So, it was only fitting that I visit a place called Dempsey Road. It's an area of Singapore that used to be army barracks (are you shocked as I am that this place even needs an army? I have lived here or one year and saw a police officer once. It was at the police station to file a lost ID card.) which has now been converted to a series of restaurants on a road called Dempsey. Here you will find a large number of expats as well as locals dining a range of Mexican, Italian and American cuisine. 

House is a combination of things: spa, restaurant, bar and/or living. However, I went for the Sunday brunch. The place serves your basic American breakfast with its own unique twists on the average sunny side up eggs and pancakes. A tad on the expensive side, think NYC prices. When I arrived I was immediately drawn to the 7-layer pancake with nuts and other various delights on the menu. Sadly, when the plate of pancakes arrived I was completely taken aback. It was 7-layers of pancakes alright, but what they forgot to mention was that they weren't going to serve 3/4 of the rest of the pancakes. What I got was actually 7 slices of pancakes. Deceiving. I took matters in my own hands and went back home to create the same exact dish --with my own added touches of course. And yes, they look exactly like the ones at House. ;)

Making 7 stacks of pancakes takes a long time! I could only do 3 stacks before I got hungry.



Each layer had nutella inside with toasted almonds, pistachios, green raisins and dried figs. Don't forget the maple syrup!

Dempsey House
8D Dempsey Road, Singapore 249672
Singapore

No comments: